• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC Training Course Questions (long!)

Sue H

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
So, I'm planning to take a course to get my CPC (and maybe CCS-P, followed by the CPC-H, and the CPB), and I've got it narrowed down to you guys or the AAPC course. Answers to the following will help me decide.

At this time, my questions are about the CPC/PBC course:

1: The info page says that you guys are licensed to include the AAPC curriculum. I assume this is the same thing I'd get if I got my training course thru them? Does it include access to their videos and online resources? If not, what is the advantage of taking the course thru you guys, other then the Blitz DVDs?

2: Are the required books included? If not, is there a less expensive place then the AAPC website to get them?

3: In the section of the comparison grid labeled "Practice CPC Exam", you have '150 Question Non-Printable Online Exam' listed on the AAPC side. Is that the 3 practice exams that they charge extra for? If your exams are included in the course, do you recommend also doing the AAPC practice exams? Or are they redundant?

4: Under "Personal Coach", you include phone support. But I've called a bunch of times to ask these very same questions, and no one ever answers the phone. When you need "coaching", do you have to leave a message and wait for someone to call back? ::grin::

I will probably think of other questions as I narrow down my choice, but these are the most prominent for now.

Thanks for indulging my rampant search for knowledge!

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Sue,

I'm sorry you've not got a reply yet, or at least not here in the forum. You may have already tried emailing the helpdesk, I'm not sure. They're pretty good at responding. https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/

I am currently a PBC student. In regards to your first and second question, the course includes the AAPC textbook and workbook. It also includes the AAPC "videos" which are more like a slide presentation chapter review. What I liked about getting this through CCO is that you also get Laureen's chapter review videos as well as her videos taking you through your CPT code book. I get way more out of her reviews than I do the AAPC slide video.

And to further clarify on your second question, the books included are the AAPC textbook, and workbook. NOT included are the actual coding manuals. I don't think the AAPC includes them in their courses either. (Although they do offer the best prices on new manuals, especially if you become a member.) You almost always have to invest in your own coding manuals.

I know you'll get the answers you seek soon.

:)

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I think Luna answered the questions well, but let me add my two cents. Luna has info from the perspective of a current student. I took the CCO PBC course before they switched to the AAPC curriculum, so she is certainly a better source for the current course!

Regarding the coaching, I am sure the coaching still works pretty much like it did when I was a student. Our coaches have many hats, and may work at other coding jobs, be located outside of your time zone, etc., so they are not available 24/7 or even 8 hours a day. You are assigned a coach for a particular course. I usually emailed my questions, or if I wanted to talk to my coach (Alicia) we arranged for a time to talk or Skype. I found this quite satisfactory, and also got a response within 2 days, maybe 3 if it was over a weekend. When you take a CCO course, there are many things to work on, so even if you are stuck on one concept, you really aren't totally stuck, and have time to email in your need for coaching, and while you are waiting, work on some other aspect of the course. I think you will like our coaches... they are all personable and definitely capable coders and teachers. I think CCO strives to add the extra touch to make it just right for each student who is willing to study the materials and do the work. In my CEU courses I've taken from AAPC, it was void of any extra effort to genuinely make the material come alive, in my honest opinion. Making it come alive was all up to me. I definitely prefer the CCO courses, if I have a choice.

I don't know what phone number you are calling, but I'd recommend using the https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/ if you need more info, at this point.

Regarding the AAPC practice exams. We don't include or even sell their practice exams. We have our own practice exams. Personally, I would take advantage of our practice exams, and also purchase all 3 of the AAPC's practice exams. I found their format not so easy, so I liked being able to use the practice exams from CCO on paper and work in the same mode as the Real CPC exam, (w/o computer), when I practiced. However, I liked knowing that I had benefitted from the practice exams written by the same organization that authors the real CPC exam, so I was also glad I bought and used the AAPC exams.

I know buying something on online feels a bit like choosing a "pig in a poke" so I understand why you want to check out all the aspects before purchasing. CCO offers a 30 day refund period if you decide it isn't for you... AAPC is only 3 days. That's just one more example how Laureen will go the extra distance to extend the best she can reasonably offer to her customers!

Happy studying wherever you decide to go!

Sue H

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Wow! Thanks for the detailed answers. You're helping me make the decision. ::grin::

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Just an added note on the books. The Text book and Work book come from the AAPC and are ordered for you. The manuals you purchase yourself. The reason Laureen decided to do this is because you can most likely get the manuals at a better rate then CCO could. Some students already have manuals or their employers provide them. This way they are not charged extra for something they do not need. We like to save money where we can.

I am not sure what number you might have called. We can check that for you. When you are assigned a coach you get an entire set of ways to contact your coach, phone, Skype, e-mail, text etc... All of CCO's coaches do have other jobs and families but I think we all do a pretty good job of being available to our students. We love what we do. That helps. I have a Thursday night webinar call that started for my students. It is an excellent way to allow students at all stages of the course can cover questions they might have and get feedback from myself as well as other students. These are causal meetings.

Another point that I think sets CCO apart is that once you are a student or client of ours we don't like to let you go. You are part of our community and we hope to help you even after you are certified. We do monthly Q&A webinars so that you can ask questions that come up through your career.

Sue H

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
As I said above, I appreciate the answers I've gotten here. I've pretty much decided to do the training thru this site. I just have one more question:

Does the 30 day money back guarantee start when you pay? Or does it start when you receive the training materials? This can be a significantly different amount of time, you see. ::grin::

Thanks!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Not sure... I'll check with the helpdesk and someone from the staff will answer.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I'm not sure when it starts either. But one thing I do know, is that when you pay, your student access account is set up right away. In your student area you will find the first chapter of the text. That way you have that material, while you wait for the physical copies to arrive. So right away, you already get to see what materials you'll have and how the student area works. My physical materials only took a week to arrive. Also, the first few chapters don't really require the coding manuals, if your concern is on waiting for them to arrive as well. Hopefully, you already have some or they are on their way for whatever course you choose.

Had I felt a need to cancel my course, I might have an actual answer on when the time starts, but knowing that you'll have the first chapter in PDF format available to you anyway, may help in your decision making.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Sue H,
According to Laureen, the 30 day period starts when you pay as will have access to the course immediately and the first chapter is scanned in for you.

Luna, thanks for writing from your experience!

Sue H

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Ladies, Thanks again. I've definitely decided to to the course here; now I just need to wait for my financing to come together... sometime in the next couple of days. Woo hoo! (Can you tell I'm excited?)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yes!
I'm excited for you. I remember going through the same thing. Had a lot of questions. Wanted to make sure about the program I was choosing and with whom I was going to go with. There is a lot to consider. Then once the decision is made, it's so hard to be patient about the finances coming through.
We'll see you around. :)

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Always good to start a new project with enthusiasm! I'm glad you are excited.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
ICD-10 is not included in the Physician Based Coding course. This course prepares the student for the CPC exam, which does not have ICD-10-CM codes on it until January 2015. CCO offers a ICD-10 Mini course for those who know ICD-9-CM who want to learn ICD-10-CM.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
This has always been in the back of my mind, but on the Blitz Videos, do you get a coach?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
It's not exactly a "coach" but the Review Blitz Videos page lists Instructor Email Support as a bonus.
So if you are having problems with a particular area, or need clarification on a specific chapter, our certified instructors are available to help answer your medical coding questions by email.

There is also a private forum for the Blitz Videos, for Blitz customers.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
This has always been in the back of my mind, but on the Blitz Videos, do you get a coach?
If you are struggling you can email https://www.cco.us/cco-helpdesk-request/ and you will be invited to Alicia's weekly student call on Thursday nights. She uses the first hour for students and leaves the last hours for Blitz students. Hope that helps!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Was going to mention the Thursday night student webinar but Laureen beat me to it. We hold that last 30 minutes or so for Blitz discussion if anyone needs help. It is 7 Central time.